Thanks to our generous sponsors, participating students will incur no food or lodging expenses, while enjoying the following activities and events during the VT KnowledgeWorks Global Partnership event.
Thursday, August 17 –
- Student teams fly into the Washington Dulles International Airport, Dulles, Virginia, for a two-day trip in Washington, D.C., August 17-19.
- Attendees arrange their own transportation from the Washington Dulles International Airport to the Westin Arlington Gateway Hotel. Review the ground transportation options available from the airport. For a convenient, economical connection between the Dulles Airport Main Terminal to the Westin Arlington Gateway Hotel, attendees can use the Silver Line Express Bus from the airport to the metro station. From the Wiehle-Reston East Metrorail, take the Silver Line towards Largo Town Center and get off at the Ballston Metro stop. Access the map (.pdf) of the Ballston Metro stop to the hotel, by foot. Due to possible metro line work in the spring/summer, check for metro delays prior to making your arrangements from the airport to the Westin Arlington Gateway.
- Attendees check-in to the Westin Arlington Gateway Hotel. No formal activities planned, in light of this being a travel day.
Friday, August 18 –
- Light breakfast.
- Chartered bus provided by VT KnowledgeWorks from the hotel to Washington, D.C.
- Tours and sightseeing in Washington, D.C.
- Dinner and chartered bus back to the hotel.
Saturday, August 19 –
- Light breakfast at hotel.
- Check-out of Westin Arlington Gateway Hotel and load luggage on the chartered bus arranged by VT KnowledgeWorks.
- Informal half-day of sightseeing in Washington D.C.
- Group tour of Capitol Hill.
- Chartered bus leaves from Washington D.C. at 2:00 p.m. to Blacksburg, Virginia.
- Dinner on the bus, with arrival time between 7:30-8:00 p.m. at The Inn at Virginia Tech, in Blacksburg.
- Host family picks up student(s) at The Inn at Virginia Tech, in Blacksburg and drives them home. Host families will be aware of our group arrival time to The Inn at Virginia Tech by checking for updates posted to Facebook: www.facebook.com/vtknowledgeworks, between 7:00-8:00 p.m.
Sunday, August 20 –
- Students enjoy the day with their host families and prepare for the event week in Blacksburg and Roanoke, Virginia. This would be a great day to do some souvenir shopping and/or enjoy the outdoors.
Monday, August 21 –
- Kick-off lunch and introduction to host companies.
- Presentation coaching with host companies.
- Informal welcome dinner with student teams at the Wikiteria Market and Café.
Tuesday, August 22 –
- Virginia Tech campus and Lane Stadium tours.
- Student teams go out to lunch with their host companies.
- Teams spend the afternoon working on their presentations at the host company site and receive more presentation coaching.
- Host companies drop off their team at dinner venue in Blacksburg.
- Dinner with Virginia Tech students. Pick up student(s) later that evening by host families in First & Main Plaza in Blacksburg.
Wednesday, August 23 –
- Teams have the day to prepare for the Challenge by practicing their presentation and making any final revisions to it. The Alumni Assembly Hall, in The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center, will be open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Wi-fi available in Alumni Assembly Hall.
- Afternoon audio visual test in Alumni Assembly Hall for teams to check their presentations.
- Teams have the option of exploring the Virginia Tech campus and/or Downtown Blacksburg at their leisure throughout the day.
- Dinner with host families.
Thursday, August 24 –
- Global Student Entrepreneurship Challenge at The Inn at Virginia Tech.
- Awards banquet and celebration at The Inn at Virginia Tech.
- After party celebration.
Friday, August 25 –
- Bus to Roanoke and check into The Hotel Roanoke.
- Visit downtown Roanoke attractions and informal lunch.
- Closing celebration and reception at The Hotel Roanoke.
- Opportunities to visit downtown Roanoke nightlife attractions at your leisure.
- Overnight at The Hotel Roanoke (provided and arranged by VT KnowledgeWorks for teams).
Saturday, August 26 –
- Attendees need to check out of The Hotel Roanoke no later than 11:00 a.m. All attendees are responsible for arranging their personal transportation reservations from the hotel to the airport they are flying out of. The Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport is just 10 minutes away from The Hotel Roanoke; otherwise, you can depart from whichever airport best suits your travel plans.